I have a garden tap inside my conservatory/summer room. The problem is that every time I disconnect the hose from the tap, I get a gush of water that sprays on the wall and floor. I've tried using a rag wrapped around it but the force is too strong and it sprays through it. Is there a special type of connector for this type of problem?


Gardena makes hose connectors that have a built-in water stop. I grew up with these in Germany. The orange & grey design is IMHO questionable at best, but they work like a charm.
Afaik they are available in the US, too, see the company's website here (scroll down a bit).

Apart from that, it's probably a good idea to switch off the tap and release the pressure on the hose by simply opening the other end - depending on what you have connected, e.g. pushing the trigger on a watering gun or sprayer.

| improve this answer | |
  • These are also sold as quick connects and come in breakable plastic or sturdier brass. Should be available at most hardware or garden centres – kevinsky Apr 25 '15 at 12:43
  • 1
    Yup. Click and done. I have fond memories of the summer when my dad (by mistake) installed one non-water-stop module when all other hoses had them... Got replaced rather quickly. – Stephie Apr 25 '15 at 12:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.