I have an old Elm tree on my property, probably 80+ feet tall. It has a hole in the side that weeps.

Is there anything I can do to help it?

enter image description here

New contributor
Kevin TeStrake is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Rotate your tree 90 degrees and see it that helps. Trees don't like being sideways. :D – csk Jul 31 at 23:22
  • grow mushrooms in the hole – black thumb Aug 1 at 2:24

If it's seeping fluid, its gummosis/canker; if the fluid is foul smelling, it's bacterial canker and unfortunately, there is no treatment. Trees with canker, though, will be rotting on the inside, and over time will become unstable and will eventually fall; I suggest you call an arborist (or tree surgeon, depending what country you live in) to inspect the tree, give advice and particularly check for safety, especially if it's likely to fall onto property or people if it does fall. At some point it will need removing, so see what the arborist says.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

Kevin TeStrake is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.