Is there a non-poison way to get rid of cutworms that will work with sweet corn? I'm OK with poison if there is no other way. But I prefer to use non-poison methods when they will work.
Last summer I started a garden on my brother's land. It was previously a horse pasture, now lying fallow. I did a LOT of hand-digging as therapy. Noticed quite a few cut-worms while digging. (Squashed all the ones I found.) The only thing they really got after was the sweet corn. I planted four rounds of it, with 1.5 weeks between each. The first round did OK. The last three rounds sprouted then got eaten off at about 4 inches high (about 10 cm), the plants laying there with no roots. Grrrr!
Here is a web site that recommends several methods.
I have no experience with diatomaceous earth, so any advice on that is appreciated.
The other methods don't seem practical for the amount of sweet corn I want to plant. Four plantings, each planting was two rows, each row about 10 yards (about 10 meters) long. I can't see myself putting plant collars around the seeds, for example, even if it will work.