I have a 5m flowerbed at the front of my house that is under roof cover and so gets no direct rain onto it. Beside it is the downpipe from the roof guttering and I can't help but wonder if I could just feed a single 5m tube/piping from that with tiny holes to drip water the flowers.

I have 2 questions;

  1. Does something like this exist already? I've found this type of part which appears to direct water into a tank: https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/black-rainwater-filter-collector-2000840.html?fee=3&fep=1565&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIraHxo9rc6gIVSLDtCh3NBgSmEAQYAiABEgLjI_D_BwE

enter image description here

I wonder if I could just attach a hose to that and pierce some tiny holes all along it?

  1. If I did use something like the above, should I be worried about the volume of water coming down the downpipe and flooding the flower bed, and what happens when the hose fills up because there is more water entering it than is leaving via the tiny holes.

Thank you.

1 Answer 1


It seems reasonable, however, it might tend to clog up/ provide inconsistent water distribution a lot. And maybe check to be sure the roof runoff wouldn't have tar or nutrients poor for the flowers etc. If unimpeded it would be inappropriate during a heavy rain. Regulating the water would be problematical, even if it didn't clog up, just as in regular rainfall.

  • 1
    Depending on type and proximity of trees, the jets should plug quickly. Jul 21, 2020 at 15:02
  • yes indeeed! and plug at different rates! thank you for your kind comment!
    – M H
    Jul 21, 2020 at 15:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.