I got a plant as a present. What is the name of this plant? How often should I water this plant? Does this plant like sunlight?
What a handsome plant!
I believe this is a Clusia rosea (AKA Autograph Tree) based on:
- Opposing, dark green simple leaves
- Leathery leaves with smooth edges
- Pinnate leaf venation
- Obovate / teardrop shaped leaves
An internet search for "clusia rosea houseplant care" will tell you everything you need to know to care for it, but a few highlights:
- It is invasive in Hawaii and other parts of the world
- It is toxic to pets and humans if ingested, including the fruit
- It needs well drained soil - if that pot doesn't have drainage holes, it isn't suitable for the plant
- It likes sunlight, warmth, and humidity
- It's called an Autograph tree because damage to the leaves will scar for the leaf's life, so you can write on it.