I have been gifted this plant one month ago. According to plant.id it is an Alocasia Amazonica.
One or two weeks ago some of the leafs started to show a brown spot and some reddening on the side. The other leaves (especially the smaller ones) seem fine. I also think the affected leaves used to be flatter (less wrinkled) but I do not know for sure (no before photo).
There are many posts about such symptoms for that plant or similar plants on the internet; the trouble is, apparently the cause can be anything :
- underwatering, not enough humidity, and/or not enough light
- It's insects/fungi
- It's all normal, older leaves die off
What is it here? And how can I differentiate between the above causes? Note that this is the first plant I have on a full-time basis so I might be missing obvious stuff.
- it is in my kitchen, which is reasonably lit by natural light, but not directly under the window
- the kitchen may be a bit colder than 18°C which apparently can be a problem for that plant
- Watering: per the instructions I watered it once a week but I am not sure the quantity of water is right. I water near the base of the plant slowly until the soil stays wet after five seconds; I just measured, that's about 5-10cL.