In Southern Texas, I have seen a cyan-colored, viscous, sticky fluid sprayed from a huge tank track on freshly compacted ground. I later realized that this fluid most probably contained grass seeds and fertilizer as within days the Texas-typical broad-leaved gras started to germinate.

What exactly is that mixture? Is really glue inside? Is that available to hobby gardners in Europe?


1 Answer 1


What you've described is hydroseeding, invented in the US in the 1940s. It's a slurry of grass seed, water, and other ingredients that help "stick" the seed to the soil and in most cases, cover it with a thin mulch. As these sites show, it's certainly available in the UK and EU.

  • Thanks for the hint, I did not know the official term before. As far as I can tell, hydroseeding is rather a large-scale approach, and not necessarily available for private persons, at least not in Germany. Here, the market is dominated by sod.
    – B--rian
    Apr 16, 2021 at 11:45
  • Hydroseeding seems to be the standard for highway construction sites. Any color dye an be used. Apr 16, 2021 at 14:22
  • Its certainly used a lot in the usa. My neighbor hydroseeded and it is cool I used to laugh thinking it would never grow. He has the best grass in the neighborhood.
    – JonH
    Apr 16, 2021 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.