I am living in Tartu where the water is middle hard. I think that it is partially the reason why some of my plants are dying.
I manage my plants by
- watering once a week by room temperature, 20C, water middle-hard
- showering them once a month - cleaning dusts away
- removing death parts of the plants if needed everyday
I personally filter the same water which I drink. However, I do not filter it to water the plants. The filtering does not affect the calcium level of the water.
Possible reasons why some of my plants are dying
- the high level of the calcium is the problem why some of my plants are dying
- little light during the winter time, I am not using bright light bulbs for them
- the water has much different microflora than for instance human
How would you soften the water?
It is probable that the light is the key problem. However, I would like to get your comments about if the hardness of the water affect on plants.