Is it hilum?

Is this a common word? I'm looking for a word that a layman can understand. I'm not native in English, so I don't know which word to use.

From wikipedia:

On a bean seed, the hilum is called the "eye".

My seed is malabar chestnut. Can I call the white dot on top the "eye", or "hilum" if it's understood by most people?

seed pic


No, the hilum is not the point of the seed where it grows. It is actually a scar, the place it was attached to the mother plant (compare it with the navel in humans).

Technically there are more points where a normal seed would grow, if you look here at the anatomy of a seed. You can see that the epicotyl will grow to become the shoots above ground, and the radicle will grow into roots in the ground.

  • 1
    I'm looking for the place where the root starts growing. So is it radicle? I guess most people understand the word, right?
    – johan
    Nov 11 '20 at 11:28
  • 3
    Yeah that's radicle. I think 99.9% of the people have never heard of the word radicle.
    – benn
    Nov 11 '20 at 11:34
  • 1
    OK I understand now. Thank you.
    – johan
    Nov 11 '20 at 11:43
  • 1
    Good question, good answer, and good comments; maybe just call it: the place where the sprout grows out from the seed. :)
    – M H
    Nov 11 '20 at 12:51
  • Thank you for your question! Welcome to the site!
    – M H
    Nov 11 '20 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.