I sprouted 4 lotus plants (Nelumbo nucifera) in the start of May this year.
I expected the leaves to be green like the one you see at the bottom center of the image below. However, as you can see from the attached images, the leaves display a wide range of colors. One is even pink! Please note that this started with the very first leaf, when the seeds were still in a tall glass vase.
Is this normal, or is there something wrong my my plants?
If the latter, what can I do to cure the problem?
- Growing medium: Aquarium sand.
- Container size: 70 L (18.5 gal)
- Fertilizer: None
- Sunlight: 7h direct + 9h indirect (59°N)
- Air temperature : 15-30°C (59-86°F)
- Water temperature : 15-40°C (59-104°F)
- Water quality: Voss water (aka. Norwegian tap water)
- Store: Seeds purchased from Plant World Devon Ltd
~5 weeks after applying slow release fertilizer:
~7 weeks after applying slow release fertilizer: