I am assembling a sprinkler system for my gardens and decided to use these standard lawn sprinkler nozzles as they are pretty cheap and seem to do what I want, however I can't find anywhere what the thread type is on them.

I contacted Orbit and their rep told me they are a half inch NPT thread, but after purchasing and receiving them they are definitely not. The diameter is smaller than a 1/2" NPT and larger than a 1/4" and the thread is finer than both and appears to have no taper like a NPT thread does.

Does anybody know what thread these things use?


Any of the dozen or so types I have are 1/2 NPS, maybe a couple of 3/4 . Some male some female. Smaller than 1/2 sounds like a drip irrigation system. Some heads come as a body( 1/2 NPS)and a separate spray nozzle, these spray nozzles have smaller than 1/2 threads.

| improve this answer | |
  • These are the head type that separates from the body. I am fairly sure that they are not NPS as I believe NPS threads have the same pitch as a corresponding NPT thread and the threads on the ones i have are much finer than even a 1/4" NPT. – PGmath Jun 13 at 15:44

This is not designed to be used on its own.

It is a replacement spray head nozzle for an in-ground pop-up sprinkler. The thread is not some standard thread like NPT, it is a proprietary thread that is on the rising tube of a pop-up sprinkler by specific manufacturers.

Return it to whoever sold it to you and buy a spray head designed to be used on its own; it will likely be called a "shrub sprayer head" or something like that.

enter image description here:

| improve this answer | |
  • I know it's not designed to be used on its own. But if I know the thread dimensions I can easily buy or make an adapter. Like I said, these things were cheaper than the alternatives by a fair amount which is why I opted for them. It's also not really propriatery as it's used by multiple manufacturers, so I am super puzzled as to why it is seemingly impossible to find the specifications on it. – PGmath Jun 14 at 16:07
  • It is not a "standard" plumbing thread and you will not find fittings or adapters that will work with it. It was proprietary (Rain Bird) until these later manufacturers (Hunter, Orbit) adopted it. Do yourself a favor and spend $1.00 more and get the sprayers that are designed to screw directly to pipe risers, these are just pop-up sprinkler nozzles, not a complete product, but a part. – Jimmy Fix-it Jun 14 at 16:40
  • It's a standard in that multiple companies use it. And for my application comparable solutions are more than $1 in price difference, I also am not super keen on waiting another couple weeks for more parts to arrive. I can easily make an adapter if none really exists if I know what the thread is but I don't have the capability to measure the thread myself given the geometry of the inside of the part. – PGmath Jun 14 at 16:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.