3 weeks ago I began my first attempt at keeping plants on my balcony. I chose Lavender, Fuchsia, Margot Robert's and Golden Empire Bidens. All seem to be do well enough with the exception of the GEB.
These are the details:
- The plant was flowering abundantly when I purchased it
- I removed it from the thin plastic container it was in
- I loosened the compacted soil around the roots
- I placed it down in a new planter I had partially filled with 'professional potting mix'
- I added the same potting mix around the roots until it was built up to just above the original soil level of the plant
- I compressed the soil around the plant slightly
- I added a small amount more of potting mixture to compensate for the compressed soil
- I watered the plant until water began to drain from the bottom of the planter
- I have watered the plant every second day since then using about a 150mls of water each time
- Originally I had the plant placed on the balcony wall, facing east, getting morning sun up until about 11am
- A week ago I moved the plant onto the floor where it no longer receives any direct sunlight
- Moving the plant out of the sun was done because I assumed it was getting too much sun, as it was wilting
- After moving it, the plant has deteriorated even faster
- Before moving it, and ever since day one the plant has gradually deteriorated, losing its flowers first and now also the leaves are wilting