I just bought a house and have a 2000 sqf yard that is currently just dirt. I want to do the sod myself, but I am a bit unsure about how to prepare the soil. I have been trying to read online and what what I gather I need to add 6 inches of soil on top of my current soil. (I may be digging in place to make the area even.)
However, every place I read tells me a different thing. Some say I need to add sand, others say that I don't, and only need 3 inches.
I am guessing this is based on different areas. I am in the San Fernando Valley, California, USA.
My questions are:
- What mix of soil should I add on top of my existing soil
- How many inches should I add
- Do I need to compress the soil after adding it and before laying out the sod
- Do I need to add fertilizer to the soil before adding the sod
- I expect to add palm trees to my yard, and they need to be deeper then 6 inches. Do I also need to dig to add the soil for the palm trees or will they grow in the existing soil.