Are there any permits required? What can be done to prevent problems with authorities in this regard?
This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
Seems like it would depend on where you live and what you mean by raised beds... If you are building a terraced rice patty, maybe it would, if you mean some planters set off with railroad ties, or concrete landscaping block... Probably not; but check your local ordinances.
I agree with @Grady Player. This question is very local. Cities across the world have vastly different regulations. Ask yourself these questions:
- is where you want to build the bed your property? (Condo's anyone?)
- does it change the drainage in any way?
- will it change the amount of sunlight any neighbours might receive?
- is it structurally safe and can you prove it? I'm thinking of a raised bed on a rooftop where the static load must be assessed against what the roof can hold up.
- is where you want to build it going to affect access of other parties. (right of way, shared driveways)
It's always a good idea to consult your local authorities. In my city they have a phone line staffed with people paid to answer questions like this.