I'm searching for some 2-4ft long 1-2ft wide heat mats to start plant seeds and cuttings on. In shopping around on Amazon I see that most (or all so far) heat mats have polarized 2-prong plugs. Shouldn't an electrical device designed to generate heat and be near water have a third, grounding prong?

Oddly enough most (also all so far) thermostats I've found specifically designed for plant heating mats have 3-prong outlets built onto them for mats to plug into, and the thermostat devices themselves have 3-prong plugs to go into a 3-prong (ideally GFCI) outlet.

Does anyone know the reason for this, or have any tips on where to find grounded heat mats for plants?

closed as off-topic by Niall C. Jan 20 '18 at 3:11

  • This question does not appear to be about gardening or landscaping within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Not sure if this Q is best suited for here or another site like DIY.SE or EE.SE. I want to keep it pragmatic so I figured I'd ask it based on the intended use of gardening. – cr0 Jan 19 '18 at 15:57
  • I understand the difference between 2 and 3 prong outlets. I infer from my understanding and seeing thermostats for heat mats having 3 prong female and male connectors, that heat mats should have 3 prongs. Yet most heat mats I find online are 2 prong. – cr0 Jan 19 '18 at 21:17
  • 1
    Any aquarium heater/thermostat I have seen has been 2 prong - POLARIZED. – blacksmith37 Jan 20 '18 at 0:49
  • 1
    See electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/337066/… for an explanation. – Niall C. Jan 20 '18 at 3:12