We're looking to grow roses onto something like the structure pictured below. We'd like to look at photos of various forms, however I don't know what to search for. Pergola and trellis give very limited results.

Is there an architectural term for this mini pergola ?

enter image description here

Edit: This came up using Lorel C.'s suggestion that it might be called an "arbor." This is what I'm looking for, only it would be much longer, running the entire length of a patio. There MUST be a special name for this thing.

enter image description here

  • 1
    You got it, its a pergola. Oct 24, 2017 at 4:48

3 Answers 3


In the UK, I'd describe this as a 'single or single row wooden pergola', but have seen them sometimes called an arch. Here's an example of a single pergola, shown with a trellis infill https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fencing/secret-garden-collection/pergolas-single/secret-garden-collection-pergolas-single.aspx


How about an "arbor"? It looks like a trellis is usually a smaller closed flat structure (i.e. you don't look through it), and a pergola is a more substantial "3-d" thing.


Google image search suggests landscaping trellis.

Though I built one at our last house and I called it a pergola.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.