Back in March, I bought a baby Jacaranda tree from Ebay. Well, they claimed it was a Jacaranda. Just recently I discovered Silk Trees which look remarkably like the Jacaranda. Everywhere I read, articles said the best way to tell them apart is by their flowers. Well either tree won't flower until a few years old. So is there any other way I can distinguish between the two? Is what I purchased a Jacaranda or a Silk Tree...or even something else? Here's some helpful info which may help identification:
- I purchased the tree as a tiny little sapling for $10 on Ebay.
- It was not bare root nor was it grafted. Def grown from seed.
- The seller was growing them in Florida.
- I live in Southern Texas.
- This tree has thrived in my clay soil with only watering once a week.
- Just came out of a drought too so the tree had no real rain water.
- The tree grew from about 1 inch tall to over 5 feet in about 6 months!
- Has one main trunk, though started sprouting a secondary one at ground level