This spring, I plan on growing vegetables on land that is new to me. How do I find a lab to test my soil? Will some labs give me information that others might not? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a soil test?

  • mentioning where you live (even just whether its the US or not) would help tremendously. in the US you can almost always do it at your local extension office, elsewhere it may be different
    – wax eagle
    Feb 21, 2012 at 19:19

1 Answer 1


I think I paid $17 through my state's cooperative extension service and got pH, organic matter %, phosphate, potash, calcium, magnesium, lead, and recommendations for how much lime and organic fertilizers I should add.

Your profile says you live in Ohio. A quick google search leads me to the OSU Extension Service -- note that the form indicates that Penn State's lab actually does the testing. The cost listed on that form is $9 for the analyses I mentioned above (minus lead); you can add $5 if you want an organic matter analysis. Follow the instructions on the form for taking the sample.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.