I'd love some recommendation on the best way to remove Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' from a perennial border. A little background: The border never really goes fully dormant, and is layered with many plants, including several layers of bulbs. Because of this, and because it's a fairly steep bed, we don't mulch much. Soil is mostly clay with a thin layer of better soil on top. The bed is about 1000 sq ft. I can take some photos tomorrow when I'm at work if people think that would help.
What I've thought about:
- Sheet mulching
- Hand digging
- Dig everything out and start over
I'm worried the sheet mulching would prevent the bulbs from coming up, but perhaps if I start in early November, the newspaper would be decomposed enough by mid-January to let the first crocus bulbs poke through. I suspect the daffodils can get though. I suspect I'd need almost 2 years to make sure I get everything out of the bed before I did a complete renovation. To make matters worth, I don't really have a nursery location to store stuff.
Finally getting around to getting photos posted, it's been a busy week.
- What started out a cute edging along the steps has really started to take over. You can't see it here, but it is now covering about 80% of the bed.
- It's starting to out compete other wanted plants. Here, this used to be a solid mass of Sedum 'Autumn Joy' maybe five years ago. It not only gets in the crown, but it scampers up the stalks, shading them out.
- It's difficult to see here, but about 4 months ago I pulled all the creeping Jenny off to the ground. Now it's almost a foot thick, and climbing all over the heathers.