7

enter image description here

I found this giant mushroom in my boyfriend's yard. I found it concerning and I don't know if it is dangerous or not. We have a dog and I'm afraid she will eat it. Does anyone know what type of mushroom this is and if it is something to be concerned about? Any information would be extremely helpful. Thank you. enter image description here

  • Where in the world is your boyfriend's yard? How big is the mushroom -- your photo doesn't give a good sense of scale. – Niall C. Jul 18 '17 at 4:19
  • It's in Massachusetts in diameter it's almost 2 feet – Michelle Alyssa Jul 18 '17 at 5:42
  • It's growing in the grass right next to a tree he lives on the water I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it – Michelle Alyssa Jul 18 '17 at 5:43
  • Could you post also a picture of a turned up one? It could help to see the pores. – J. Chomel Jul 18 '17 at 6:53
  • What a beautiful...fungus/mushroom! 2 feet across? Shoot make this into a little table...don't think this one is worrisome but will be back with more information. Mean time cover it with a blanket while your dog is out in the yard. Take a nap only when the dog is inside the home. – stormy Jul 18 '17 at 8:18
3

This looks like some mushroom of the Polyporales Order, possibly of the Polyporaceae Family. The one in your friends garden probably sprouts on the dead roots or buried a trunk.

It could be this one Lenzites Betulina. Lenzites Betulina Polyporaceae Polyporales

(credits to floraitaliae.actaplantarum)

(btw, if you do a close-up of your picture, google image search knows it's a mushroom, and shows many polyporales but don't have the right one yet...)

For your dog:

polyporales are rarely poisonous, so small intake should be harmless for a dog.

But this kind of mushroom can be very difficult to digest, which can be harmful to a dog that eat the whole thing. But never seen or heard of a dog eating mushrooms. They'd rather go to dead stuff with interesting smell than that.

If your dog takes too much interest in the thing and start eating it, then a possibility is to put a big concrete flower pot over it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.