Two days ago I noticed a mysterious and short-lived mushroom in my planter that is housing a flowering "Carnival Blend" bell pepper plant.
Yesterday it looked like this:
Today the mushroom is dead and I can barely see any remnant of it. Some caterpillar was eating it and it seemed to have a quick lifecycle (I don't know much about mushrooms and came to that conclusion because it sprouted and fanned out in two to three days).
Are the peppers and other nearby plants still safe to eat?
I use a lot of home-dug "forest dirt" in my bed and planters so seeing a mushroom doesn't surprise me. I'm curious as to whether others think I even worry too much about this.