I need to buy some more of these for other places around the garden.

What are these called?

enter image description here


I can't get enough magnification to examine the needle arrangement properly, but at a guess, it could be Cupressus macrocarpus Wilma, link below to an image, but you'll have to click on the pic itself to see it larger


  • I think that's correct. It's also often sold as Arborvitae
    – Escoce
    Oct 8 '15 at 18:21
  • I thought Arborvitae referred to Thuja? I can't help thinking it'd be a helluva lot easier if you guys used the proper names - mind you, I say the same here in the UK to people who live here!
    – Bamboo
    Oct 9 '15 at 10:30
  • Is Arborvitae a catch all term meaning just 'conifer' in the States?
    – Bamboo
    Oct 9 '15 at 11:48
  • I am sorry, you are 100% correct
    – Escoce
    Oct 9 '15 at 11:58
  • Erm, what, that Arborvitae refers specifically to Thuja, or that its a catch all term for conifer?
    – Bamboo
    Oct 9 '15 at 12:38

It looks like a lemon cedar, this is called in this way by people because it smells like lemons, you can touch it to see if it smells like lemon if not is another variety of cedar.

  • Sorry!, the last answer is correct and has the scientific name that was not familiar to me, I just verified it here Oct 13 '15 at 16:10
  • 1
    Hi! No problem about your initial thought-thanks for the verification of the correct answer! I see you've been around the network a bit. Welcome to this site, hope to see you again! Oct 13 '15 at 21:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.