I'm designing a more permanent tree irrigation system for my property to replace the makeshift only I currently have that uses garden hoses. To water the trees, I've settled on non-pressurized lines that are open at the ends (to eliminate the problem of clogging, as we have extremely hard water). To ensure that the flow isn't too high, I need a way to reduce the flow so it just dribbles out. To do this right now, I just open my hose bib spigot a tiny bit so the flow is extremely low, and it works fine. However, this means I can't run the sprinkler at the same time.

For the system I'm designing, I want to preserve the high pressure high flow at the hose bib so I can run the sprinkler (high flow, high pressure) at the same time as the dribbly tree irrigation part (low flow, low pressure). I have not had much luck finding a product or method to accomplish this. How can I reduce the flow and pressure for only one of the lines? I almost feel like what I want to do is add another hose bib, or a shut-off valve that uses a globe valve instead of a ball valve. I want to be able to throttle the flow, basically.

  • Would something like this work, turned partly, but not entirely off? They come as a y also... – J. Musser Oct 5 '15 at 17:18
  • I suspect the ball would fully open over time due to water pressure. – iLikeDirt Oct 5 '15 at 17:28
  • What is your pressure? – J. Musser Oct 5 '15 at 17:36
  • The water pressure is 70 PSI. – iLikeDirt Oct 5 '15 at 17:43
  • That is normal/highish, not unusual. I don't think it will be an issue, they work for me. – J. Musser Oct 5 '15 at 17:53

I would use a shut-off ball valve (as opposed to a butterfly) such as the one pictured, turned to the required gpm.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Use a valve to regulate flow and pressure.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.