We have a drainage / flooding problem where lots of water passes through our garden, from the higher house on our right to the lower house on our left.

I want to put in a raised garden, which has a "base", "under-bed" that allows the water to pass through it, or even to stay in it, but with a good soil layer on top of it, in which the plants grow.

What material should I use? Clay Pebbles? Straw? Mulch? What can be cheap and workable? Is this even a good idea?

1 Answer 1

  • Dig some trenches at about one foot (~30 CM spacing) parallel to each other from the higher point to a lower point.
  • The trenches should be about six inches (~15 CM wide)
  • line the trenches with landscape fabric or geotextile
  • add four inch drain pipe, perforated with a sleeve
  • fill with crushed gravel, 5/8 inch or 7/8 inch diameter, without any fine crushed material
  • top with another layer of landscape fabric to bring it level to the surface
  • build your raised bed on top. For surface vegetables you will need at least one foot (~30 CM ) of soil, better to have two feet if you want to grow root vegetables
  • if you have serious water volumes flowing through then where the four inch drain pipe terminates add a french drain which is described here
  • drain pipe is available at most hardware and home building centres

drain pipe with sleeve

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.