In my workplace we have a competition on who can grow their basil plant the tallest in 9 weeks. I know next to nothing about gardening, so I would appreciate tips. The plants are store bought, so already "grown up" (mine is 14 cm).
Here are my questions and musings so far:
- The pot it came in is quite small. Could I benefit from replanting it in a larger pot?
- Should I put a lamp over it and cover the sides in something dark, forcing it upwards?
- Do I need a special lamp or is any lamp ok, including LED?
- I suppose I should tie it up to a stick to help it stabilize?
- Should I use fertilizer or some nutrition other than just water?
- Could I benefit from hanging it upside-down, with a lamp underneath, to make gravity stretch it?
- I read about someone growing marijuana saying that you can make a plant grow larger by pruning the lower leaves. Is this true?
- Can I stretch the plant somehow? Perhaps if I combine hanging it upside down and tying a small weight to it? (I like this idea :)
And also the basics:
- How much should I water it? (I think basil should be watered from below)
- How much sun and warmth does it need?
- If I use a lamp, should I turn it off X hours each day?
- How strong should the lamp be?