I live in North Carolina, USA and I never did aeration before. The size of the lawn is 0.37 acre. Recently I got a letter from a lawn-care company offering the following services about aeration:
- Aeration only: $262.00, or $243.66 if paid before 9/15/2014
- Aeration & Seeding: $462.00, or $429.66 if paid before 9/15/2014
- Organic Soil Enhancement: $200.00, or $186.00 if paid before 9/15/2014
The significantly higher charge for aeration and seed is due to the cost of the seed plus the time spent preparing the seed bed. Problem areas are gone over to the point of "roto-tilling". Seed is applied in multiple applications to layer or to mix it into the top layer of soil.
I didn't call the company because I am not a rich man and I want to do it by myself. Perhaps it can save me some lovely US dollars.
- What tools will I have to buy? I saw there is one which is very cheap and small. Not sure if it is suitable?
- After aeration, how do I seed the lawn? What are the steps? Do I need to cover the seeds with something?
- Is it a good time to begin with? The lawn-care company is still in the cycle of the services. It has done 5 services, there are two remaining for this year.