I have a small area which I would like to fill with (hopefully perennial) foliage plants, to green it up. I was thinking a variety of different hostas would fit the bill. If this was your bed, what do you think would look best?
Here are some of the conditions in the bed:
- Lots of roots from the trees
- A pH of about 5.8
- Less than 1 hour of direct sun each day, but plenty of light (except for under the steps)
- About 8" of good topsoil, over a hard clay base
- I can irrigate
- During a heavy rain, I would expect some overpouring from the gutter
- Possible chemical content from cleaning the deck
I would like recommendations from as many people as possible. The more input I get the better. I'll post back eventually what I end up doing. If you had this in front of your house, what would you plant?
Note: I'm mainly looking for plant recommendations. If you want to give an opinion on improving the conditions, etc. that's fine, but please do not make that the main part of your answer.
Below are pictures of the area:
Update: Would it be possible to grow a vine (on a support of course) like climbing hydrangea up the non too attractive deck support posts?