Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gardeners and landscapers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I fertilized my plants today and watered them well. Tonight, when I looked at my vegetable patch, I found tiny drops of transparent liquid on some of my half-grown brassicas. They're on the leaf margins at the place where the veins meet the leaf margins.

What is this phenomenon?

share|improve this question

This is called guttation. You can see it on plants grown indoors as well. The roots send water up to the leaves and under the right conditions the pressure is so much that water comes out of the leaves. You can find it occurring under conditions of high moisture levels in the soil. It is harmless and can be enjoyed rather than looked upon as something that needs fixing.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.