Take the 2-minute tour ×
Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gardeners and landscapers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Title says it all. Is it possible to connect a funny pipe to a polyethylene tube? If so, what exactly do I need? Here in Southern California, I tried going to Home Depot and Lowes, but none of the employees there were able to help me.

I'd like to set up a drip irrigation system, but if possible I'd like to use an existing but unused sprinkler system pipe as the water source.

share|improve this question
I don't know the answer, but if you don't get a good answer here, I'd suggest trying a specialty plumbing type shop instead of the box stores. They'll have more depth of expertise and may help you come up with a creative solution. –  bstpierre Mar 15 '12 at 12:24
I'd agree, but I note the "funny tube" is sold by Home Depot and is designed to work with "Toro Funny Pipe Fittings" so Home Depot should know. Perhaps Toro might know, if they have a customer contact? –  winwaed Mar 15 '12 at 12:41
The polyethylene tube has really, really thin walls: ".600 OD x.700 ID." –  Ed Staub Mar 15 '12 at 19:52

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

One solution would be to just use hose fittings, e.g. Toro part 53389 to this.

share|improve this answer
Your first link takes me to the main page of the Toro store. I tried searching for "hose fitting" but it gave a lot of results and I couldn't figure out which one you meant. Would it be possible to re-link me? –  tgxiii Mar 16 '12 at 3:59
@tgxiii - Sorry, try now. –  Ed Staub Mar 16 '12 at 11:09
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and I'll post my findings as a comment here. –  tgxiii Mar 16 '12 at 17:50
@tgxiii - I've no experience with doing this - it just looked like an easy fix. –  Ed Staub Mar 16 '12 at 19:04
It took a while for the parts to come in, but I tried it out and it works perfectly. Thanks @Ed Staub! –  tgxiii Apr 10 '12 at 4:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.