I have a few questions about starting chives (Allium schoenoprasum) and keeping them happy. I understand chives can survive and grow in many conditions, but what are the best conditions? A few points I would love answered:
- What are ideal conditions for germination?
- Should seeds be clumped together or individually spaced out?
- What is the optimal soil pH/temperature?
- Full sun, partial sun, shade (optimally)?
- How aggressive should stalks be harvested?
- Do they spread asexually (spores, clippings) or by seed only?
- Should they be replanted every year or do they overwinter well?
- What nutrient are they heavily dependent on (if any in particular)?
Please feel free to bring up any other aspects that may be pertinent!