I recently planted a few paperwhite bulbs in river rock with water. They've started to root and sprout, but I noticed one of them is developing mold. What's the best way to fix this problem? Should I scrape the mold off of the bulb and hope it doesn't come back? I would need to move the bulb to do so, and I'm afraid I could damage the delicate roots in the process.
I had been trying to keep the water level covering the bottom 1/4" to 1/2" of the bulbs, but now that they're putting down roots, I'm aiming for just up to the bottom of the bulbs.
The bulbs are in a fairly sunny spot on our dining room table. The room has two walls of windows (South and West facing) that we usually keep the blinds open on.
The temperature in the house has been between 70°-75°F for the most part. Possible a bit lower at night, since we really haven't started running the heat here yet.
Click below images to enlarge...