Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for gardeners and landscapers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What are the beads this guy is scooping out in this video:

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

That look like Hydroton, which explained above is expanded clay.

It is highly porous and holds moisture very well, and is used in a lot of Deep Water Culture/Aquaponic/Hydroponic applications.

share|improve this answer
That's a lot cheaper than the previous answer. – black thumb Mar 20 at 22:53
If you are looking for economic solutions, you might also look into expanded shale and growstones, but I've never used them personally. – SprintCycle Mar 20 at 22:56
It's for a hack-a-thon project, so we're shoe stringing the project. – black thumb Mar 20 at 23:00
Cool, are you guys doing anything code related? What is your objective? Is there a project page? Good luck with it – SprintCycle Mar 20 at 23:07
I am (slowly) working on a pH/Nutrient controller with Raspi. Interested in similar type projects and how they're executed. – SprintCycle Mar 20 at 23:21

These are called by various names but the one I am familiar with is LECA. It stands for Lightweight Expanded Clay aggregate and is made by this company.

Having seen this material used in twenty and thirty year old installations I can attest to its durability. Lightweight? Not so much.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.